KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WOKI / WVLT) — A Blount County man has been sentenced to 77 years in federal prison for his leadership role in an online extremist network that targeted children through coercion, extortion, and the distribution of graphic abuse material.
Federal officials announced Wednesday that Kyle William Spitze, 27, of Friendsville, received the sentence in U.S. District Court in Knoxville. According to the Department of Justice, it is the longest federal prison sentence ever imposed on a member of a nihilistic violent extremist (NVE) network.
Prosecutors said Spitze was an early member and administrator of the decentralized online groups known as “764” and “HarmNation.” Federal authorities described the organizations as online networks that use social media and messaging platforms to target vulnerable minors.
According to court documents, members of the groups carried out extortion schemes against children, coercing victims into harmful and dangerous acts under threats of blackmail. Federal officials said the networks exploited minors and encouraged self-destructive behavior while sharing graphic content online.
The FBI launched an investigation into HarmNation in December 2023 after receiving reports involving child exploitation material circulating online.
Investigators linked Spitze to a social media channel where authorities said he uploaded graphic images and videos involving underage victims. Federal prosecutors stated the victims had been coerced into acts of self-harm and abuse as part of the group’s criminal activity.
During a February 2024 search of Spitze’s cellphone, investigators uncovered additional evidence involving underage victims. According to the Justice Department, Spitze later admitted to federal authorities that his actions were motivated by extremist ideological beliefs.
Attorney General Todd Blanche called the case one of the most disturbing prosecuted by federal authorities.
“These types of crimes are the worst of the worst: preying on vulnerable children in the name of a violent and twisted ideology,” Blanche said in a statement. “Federal law enforcement will not stop until nihilistic violent extremist groups and their depraved members are identified and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.”
Federal officials said the sentence sends a strong message to online predators and extremist groups that exploit children through digital platforms.
FBI Director Kash Patel said federal investigators have significantly increased efforts targeting nihilistic violent extremist organizations and related criminal activity.
“Today’s sentencing sends a strong message that this FBI and our Department of Justice partners will relentlessly hold accountable any individual who preys on children,” Patel said.
Assistant Attorney General John A. Eisenberg said Spitze’s actions specifically targeted some of society’s most vulnerable individuals.
“Spitze was committed to bringing about the downfall of society through terrorism, specifically by targeting children and other vulnerable people and extorting them,” Eisenberg said. “Today’s sentence of 77 years sends a strong message that civil society will not tolerate such depravity.”
In addition to the federal prison sentence, the Justice Department said Spitze will face strict conditions if he is ever released. He will be placed on lifetime supervised release, required to register as a sex offender, and subject to ongoing monitoring.
Federal authorities are also encouraging parents and caregivers to remain vigilant about children’s online activity and to make use of internet safety resources available through Project Safe Childhood.
The case represents one of the most significant prosecutions to date involving nihilistic violent extremist networks and online crimes targeting minors.







