According to TEMA, one person died in Shelby County and another in Maury County. The Department of Health has not released a cause of death for the individuals yet.
Frigid temperatures and wintry precipitation is expected to continue throughout the state today (Tuesday).
Officials in West Tennessee have confirmed up to 7 inches of snow. In Middle Tennessee, ice and sleet accumulation has become the main concern. Across East Tennessee, officials have reported icy roadways as the temperature continues to drop.
The State of Emergency remains declared and crews will continue to follow TEMA plans.
TEMA is encouraging residents to keep the following protective actions in severe weather:
· Refrain from driving to keep available streets and roads clear for emergency personnel.
· Continue to monitor radio and television broadcasts for further weather information and instructions.
· Charge electronic devices in case of loss of power.
· If using a space heater, ensure at least 3 feet of distance surrounding the heater. Never plug space heaters into extension cords.
· Never use a generator indoors or in an attached garage. Do not plug generators into your home’s electrical wiring.